Sunday, April 10, 2011

What a weekend!!


Yep! The title just about sums it up, but I'll elaborate. Yesterday was Vet School Open House and we had a great time. Flyball demos went well, and I was fortunate enough to be able to run a friend's amazing little border collie who just lives for the sport. Along with that, Shimmy and I were able to help participate in the agility demo and Shimmy's eyes just lit up. I think she just might like agility... ;) Afterwards, we headed to a friend's house for some good food and to let the pups play and enjoy the AC after a HOT HOT HOT day! Fun was definitely had by all! Today was even more awesome and I'm still on a high from it. The started out kind of wacky, the GPS was giving us problems and I was cranky due to lack of sleep...go figure. We got to New Caney on time though and our first run was Masters Gamblers. Shimmy smacked it down with a Q and 3rd place, and it definitely wasn't an easy gamble either. I was super proud of her. Starters Standard was just about right after that, but a very nice course that I was confident we could tackle. Shimmer surprised me again and had a perfect run with a fabulous attempt at the teeter and no hesitation. Our hard efforts and patience were rewarded with a Q, a 1st place, and FINALLY that long awaited AD title. I know it may seem silly, but dogwalk and teeter problems have been on Shimmer's list for quite some time now. I think because we put so much emphasis on both, she got too frazzled and picked one to work on (the dogwalk). After that became less scary we were able to work on the teeter and she's show massive improvements. I know we're definitely not out of the complete worry zone yet, and we're going to continue working on confidence. I won't be pushing a teeter in any runs unless it calls for the teeter to be taken. She's approaching it with confidence, on the first try, and staying on it, which is just awesome and brings a huge smile to my face. We had a long way, which was probably good for Shimmer, and ran Masters Snooker last. I tried to keep it as simple and flowy as possible to keep her motivated and took the conservative 3 reds, instead of 4 reds, choice. She did great and took the teeter in that class as well on the first try. She took a short pause before having it come down, and I believe that's what caused us to be just a fraction of a second short taking the last jump of sequence 7. Regardless, we got our 40 points and came out with a Q! Way to go Shim-Shim! I think the more we practice Masters Snooker and get experience, and if it's earlier in the day, I'll be able to push her and get a Super Q out of it. But, time and patience will reward us in that aspect as well. For now, I'm just happy to have a healthy dog that loves doing what she does out there with me, and for all the positive lately. It's been a very good couple of trials for us and I feel we're at a point where we are clicking again. We'll be doing another USDAA in mid-May (after the school hassle), in New Caney, so hopefully we can get some more great positive moments to happen there. We've got some resting up to do this week, well Shimmy does, and I'll be studying my butt off, but hey, it's all good. Someone is pooped and sleeping in her kennel, and I imagine, very happy! I have the best dog, I really do. She would do anything for me, and for not seeing equipment at all (we have nothing in the yard where we are right now) and not taking classes, I'd say we're doing pretty damn well! Best little Omelette Dog ever! I love her so much. I'm truly blessed...I am.

Quote of the Day: "Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing." -Camille Pissarro

No comments:

Post a Comment